Please go to our coronavirus pages for the latest guidance, how services are affected, and what help is available.

Your opinion matters!

Please complete our customer experience survey to help us improve our service.

Universal Credit

Coronavirus (COVID-19) and claiming benefits

See our Coronavirus and claiming benefits page for the latest information.

Universal Credit Full Service is now live in the Slough area.

  • It’s completely different to existing benefits.
  • It’s paid in one single monthly payment.
  • You'll have to wait several weeks for your first payment.

Universal Credit is replacing a range of benefits and tax credits for people of working age.

What is Universal Credit?

Universal Credit is a new benefit for people of working age on a low income and is administered by the Department for Work and Pensions (DWP). It is a single monthly payment which will eventually replace:

  • Income Support
  • income related Job Seeker's Allowance (JSA)
  • income related Employment Support Allowance (ESA)
  • Housing Benefit
  • Working Tax Credit/Child Tax Credit

To check if this affects you, visit

You will need to apply on line at

Council Tax support

Universal Credit does not provide assistant with Council Tax, you must make a separate claim for Council Tax Support from the council. See Apply online for Housing Benefit and Council Tax Support.


Do you need help with using the internet or using a computer?
You'll be expected to claim Universal Credit online. This means you need access to a computer and be able to use the internet, or have someone you trust who can help you.

Can you provide valid identification?
You need to provide ID, for example a passport, driving licence or EEA national identity card and evidence of your address.

Do you use an account to manage your money?
Before you can claim Universal Credit, you need an account to receive payment. It can be a bank or building society account.

How often are you paid (from work, tax credits or other benefits)?
Universal Credit is only paid once a month into your account.
You have to pay your bills, expenses and rent (if it’s included) out of your Universal Credit monthly payment so you need to plan your budget around it.

Do you pay rent, or is your rent paid on your behalf?
If your Universal Credit payment included help with rent and some service charges, you will have to pay it to your landlord yourself.

Are you married and living together, or living together with a partner?
You will normally only get one joint Universal Credit payment for you and your partner. You and your partner will need to agree whose account to have it paid in to.

Before you start, have as much of this information to hand as possible:

  • your postcode
  • your National Insurance number
  • your rent agreement (if you have one)
  • details of your savings or other capital
  • details of any income that's not from work, e.g. from an insurance plan
  • details of any other benefits you're getting
  • details of any children, including their Child Benefit numbers

If you have a partner you will also need their details.

Don’t forget to make an appointment with your Job Coach so your claim can start.

Find out about help and support available to you.


Universal Credit and landlords

The Department for Work and Pensions has launched a campaign to raise awareness and understanding of Universal Credit amongst private and social rented landlords.

The Understanding Universal Credit website has new landlord section which has lots of tips and facts to help you, as a landlord to understand Universal Credit and when you will be paid and how to support you in your conversations with your tenants.

Contact us

Contact Benefits form

01753 475111
Monday 9am-5pm
Tuesday 9am-5pm
Wednesday 10am-5pm
Thursday 9am-5pm
Friday 9am-4.45pm
Saturday Closed
Sunday Closed

In person
Community Hubs

By email
If you contact the team via email: please include your account reference number in the subject line.