Please see our coronavirus pages for the latest guidance, how services are affected, and what help is available.

Report fraud

Council fraud

Council tax

Please let us know if you suspect someone is receiving council tax support or discount that they are not entitled to.

Business rates

Please let us know if you suspect someone of non-payment of business rates.

Housing fraud

Please also let us know if: 

  • a council property that has been sub-let by the council occupant who no longer lives there, but is still the council tenant - this is a criminal offence  
  • someone who makes a false application for a council property
  • a landlord or letting agent is getting housing benefit payments for tenants who don't live in the property 
  • a landlord or letting agent has approached tenants about claiming housing benefit illegally.

What we've done about housing fraud

As of August 2016, our Housing Fraud Officer who investigates reports of sub-letting has recovered over 60 properties which have been re-allocated to genuine tenants.

We also investigate tenants who do not use their property as a main home (they may have moved in with relatives, or be abroad for extensive periods of time).

Blue badge

Please also let us know if: 

  • someone is using an altered or forged blue badge
  • someone is using one that was not issued to them.

Grant fraud

Please also let us know if:

  • you know anyone who makes obtained fraudulent grants from the council to improve properties or to obtain care grants

Other fraud

Advise us of any concerns you have where you suspect fraud has been committed against the council.

How to report council fraud

  • call the fraud hotline on 01753 787876 (24 hours)
  • complete our simple online report fraud form on the right

You can be assured you have the right to remain anonymous and that all the information provided will be treated in the strictest confidence.

Benefit fraud

Please note that Slough Borough Council no longer investigates benefit fraud - this is now the responsibility of the Department of Work and Pensions.

If someone claims Housing Benefit and/or Social Security benefits where they have no right to entitlement they are committing benefit fraud. Typical examples of benefit fraud are:

  • people, who work, but don't declare this when they submit their claim
  • people, who claim as a single person, but actually live with a partner
  • people, who claim from an address, but do not live there
  • people who do not tell the Council the full amount of income, savings or capital they have when they claim benefit
  • people who for any reason do not have any right to claim Housing Benefit.

How to report benefit fraud

Telephone: call the National Benefit Fraud Hotline on 0800 854 440. Your call is free and confidential you do not have to give your name or address. Lines are open Monday to Friday 8.00am to 6.00pm.
If you have speech or hearing problems you can use a text phone service on 0800 328 0512 or Welsh speakers can call on 0800 678 3722.


By post: NBFH, PO Box 224, Preston PR1 1GP

Report it

Report council fraud

01753 787876 (24 hours)

Related pages